Sunday, January 2, 2011

All things new

Happy New Year!
Rory has brought in the new year with many new tricks over the last week or two. I've included a few of the more candid moments captured on camera. It is hard to believe he will be 9 months old in just over a weeks time.


This was a greeting I had after Rory woke up from his nap. He has now managed to stand up in his crib and does this on a regular basis if Lindsay or I do not get him up right away. He pulls himself up and then has found a very piercing scream just to let us know he is awake and is ready for some more fun and exploring.



Encouraging self-feeding must have been supported by the laundry detergent people because there is nothing neat and tidy about Rory learning this skill. It was a messy dinner which required a full change of clothing of Rory and myself, as well as a full scrub down of the floor, table, chair, walls and Rory's tray. But what good fun!!

But needless to say lots of fun was had by Rory.
I must admit that I found it quite entertaining to watch Rory's little fingers first cautiously enter the bowl and then he just went for it with a full handful of sweet potatoes. I'm not quite sure how much actually made it into his mouth but he was at least in the right vicinity. Although we did find some sweet potatoes in his ears and on the back of his neck - thank goodness it was bath night!
Rory has also taken to many new finger foods, such as cheese(thanks Auntie Shari), pasta, apples, sweet potatoes, toast, breadsticks, bananas, peas and his favourite so far - Cheerios.
With all these new tastes to devour, Rory seems to have much more energy to explore. And with exploring comes climbing. This is a video of Rory practising some scrambling moves over a cushion.


Rory will be hiking up mountain passes before we know it.

With all this new exploring and standing up, Rory's confidence continues to grow - and mum's worries and nerves are continually tested. Rory has not discovered fear and will attempt to climb up on pretty much anything (and anyone) that is in his way. He has had a few bumps and rug burns, but this has not stopped his new found determination. Our little boy is growing up.

I'm sure 2011 will hold many, many new firsts for Rory and us as a family. We wish you and your families all the best of health and happiness for 2011.